Nurse Advocate: Dilemma of the Insane

Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

Dilemma of the Insane

When I had my duty in the pSyche Ward, I have met all kinds of people that you never thought that would end up there. There are sons of prominent families, some are even working already and in fact they are professionals. One patient is an optometrist, another is an engineer. When you talk to them, they are very sane and the things they say are so logical that you question the fact that they are admitted there.

I recount that a particular patient told me that he is forced to be there and once inside, you don't know what to do to get out. you are faced with the dilemma of behaving in order to be called sane or you lose your patience and release your outburst but you really can't afford to do the latter since you will be considered as manic or having "craziness episodes". But you really can't say that you can behave and not be angry since the condition of the place is not worth living for that you really would get mad if people will keep you in there......

It's ironic that you cannot do something once you're inside because the doctors may misinterpret you actions as insane whereas you're just expressing your frustrations. That particular patient that i was talking about is an optometrist and he is of legal age and he is already earning for himself but he was admitted by his family in the psychiatric ward saying that he is insane. What is the right of anyone, even your family, to tell that you are insane? It's your life and you should decide whether you like to seek consultation or not. of course I am telling this because I feel the situation of the patients.

I agree that the other patients really need to seek medical help but instances like him are very worrying. of course I may be just having "counter-transference" so I cannot really conclude that these people are sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...